For my project I want to try to incorporate some theories that have already been established in the media sphere to try to give it more established concepts. One I think can definitely fit into my story as well as relate to my character is the cultivation theory from George Gerbner and how it relates to the development of common views to my advantage. The theory states that widespread views and public opinions are developed in the minds of people when exposure to media is repeated over longer periods of time. A common example that derives from this theory is the development of stereotypes or certain behaviors of different character races, genders, or cultures when specifics tropes are repeated by characters that represent these groups.
While this building of stereotypes can create stigma and occasionally build negative views over certain groups of individuals I plan to use already existing tropes and stereotypes to build and show the audience the character of my protagonist without using dialogue. In my project my protagonist is a troubled teenager that is struggling with both physical and mental problems causing them to leave home, as it is the source of their trouble so I can use many aspects to show the audience this without having my character speak at an inappropriate time. One element I can employ is the use of mise-en-scene by using all black colors and rugged or alternate style of clothing to dress my character as it has become a common trope to have more disturbed or depressed characters wear this in media. Additionally I could use elements of sound like emo or gothic music playing from headphones to again play on the stereotype commonly seen by these characters listening to this type of music.
No comments:
Post a Comment