When trying to come with a name for a character that not only fit the actor that will be playing our character but also fell in line with what we wanted it was definitely a struggle. Since I will be portraying our character in the opening and I come from Mexican heritage it helped to narrow down the choices to mostly Hispanic names. At first I went through my contacts and talked to the mostly Hispanic student body at my school to try to find common names but was not happy with the most common before coming to the realization that I could just use the original name my parents planned to give me, being Carlos. I also found this to be somewhat fitting for my character as being named Carlos is such a simple decision could've happened to me in a very not so distant timeline just as any person including me could go through the same hardships as our character through spur of the moment actions or decisions.
(Donnie Darko 2001)
After giving Carlos a name and a face I wanted to add more to his character than just what the story would tell us about him. One element I want to show about Carlos is that even though he may be going through a rough spot in his life that he like most people in similar situations have support systems by showing picture strips of him and his friends or adding unanswered texts from friends on his phone. I also want to show that while our character is doing bad things or committing big mistakes that he's not a bad person rather a misguided one. I can make this evident by showing flashbacks or showing pictures of friends and family with the character being happy before his eventual spiral into depression and problems.
No comments:
Post a Comment